momma loves Key Lime TartsMay 12, 2008 at 4:10 pm | Posted in Dessert | 5 Comments
Not only did I make tarts this weekend, but I also made a pie for grandma! Double duty key lime goodness up in my kitchen! And this is extra exciting, because this is my first submission to Sugar High Fridays! Thanks to Helen for hosting the Citrus Challenge!
Here is one of the tarts that was quickly devoured at roughly 6:30 pm last night!
9 graham crackers
5 tbsp melted butter, still slightly warm
2 tbsp sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup lime nellie & joes lime juice
1 can condensed and sweetened milk
1 cup cream, chilled and then whipped!
1 lime for zesting
1) Heat oven to 325. Mash up graham crackers and then pulverize in food processor for 30 seconds.
2) Add sugar and mix once more.
3) Slowly add sugar in small stream and mix until it has the texture of wet sand.
4) Divvy up crust into pans and press well with fingers. (I could have/should have put parchment paper and some pennies or rice, but I just let it cook free! The middle puffed up a bit, but it gets covered…so NBD.)
5) Cook for 15 minutes, then allow to cool and I refrigerated it for a couple of hours.
6) Whisk yolks, juice and condensed milk until nice and smooth. Pour filling into tart pans and cook at 325 for 15 minutes. Refrigerate again for a couple of hours.
7) Whip up some cream and pipe it on top of the filling! Garnish with lime zest. Give to your mommy and let her enjoy!!